Depop is an online peer-to-peer fashion marketplace that focuses on the youth. You’ll find that the young generation visits Depop to stay on trend and buy clothes in trend, from streetwear to sneakers. When it comes to selling, Depop has many appealing features for the savvy seller. Here are just some of the advantages of selling on Depop:
- You can list for free (though you will have to pay a 10% fee when the item sells).
- The way Depop positions itself through communications, photography, styling and branding makes the items for sale more appealing to the young generation. This takes your selling techniques to a new level of cool.
- Depop can be used to sell just one or two items, or as a base to build your fashion empire.
Depop is not just a platform for selling, it is a niche fashion community. For this reason if you already sell on eBay, Poshmark or any other platform, adding Depop to your distribution strategy can be very worthwhile. By cross-listing to and from Depop, you can reach a very niche audience that would be hard to find elsewhere. Remember, cross-listing refers to listing the same item for sale on multiple platforms.
Depop Pros and Cons
Every platform has its own issues and problems. But, on the other side of the coin, every platform has its own benefits. Here are some of the cool benefits of using Depop:
- Video capability. The option to show a video of the item you are selling is an excellent feature. Sure - this could mean more work, but to be able to show a dress flowing in the wind or a bracelet shimmering in the sun, could be the difference between making or not making a sale.
- Custom items sell really well, as do unique pieces. These are the types of pieces that wouldn’t be keyword searched on eBay.
- The shipping is made easy, even for beginners.
- Depop appeals to Gen Z and millennials that you probably wouldn’t find on any other platform.
- The social media side of Depop improves sales and your exposure.
And here’s the flip side of the coin:
- Not everyone is a born photographer, and you need to have great photography skills or a model to get noticed on Depop.
- It is not a place for collectors like eBay and Etsy. (But that could be a positive, you would be appealing to a whole new market).
- You only have a small amount of picture slots per image (Depop images tend to focus on quality over quantity).
- The amount of people that use Depop is in the millions while other platforms (like eBay) is in the billions. (Smaller Market)
- Arranging a refund on Depop is a bit complicated and normally requires PayPal.
How to Sell on Depop
We have already mentioned how simple it is to sell on Depop. This is how simple it really is:
- Log in to Depop or create an account.
In order to create an account you will need to use PayPal.
- Tap the camera icon on your home screen.
- Set up shop. (Write a bio and fill in some details – emphasize what makes your shop worth buying from)
- List your first item.
- Add the following information to your item
a. 4 images
b. 1 video (optional)
d. Five hashtags
e. Your location
- Post listing.
You can do this from both mobile and website. Have fun listing!
But wait… Now that you have listed items, you might be asking: how do I get my Depop noticed?
Here’s some tips to highlight your new shop.
Depop Tips and Tricks to Success
- With Depop – it’s tough to emphasize this one enough. Make sure you have QUALITY PHOTOS. Depop is a visual-first platform.
Your photos need to have enough light. The item cannot just be hung on a hanger, it won’t attract as much attention. Make sure each of the four photos are different, showing different angles and aspects of the item. Never have less than the four photos you can upload.
- Descriptions. Use a template for all your Depop descriptions (or your descriptions anywhere). Doing this ensures that you always have the information that you need in the same order and shows consistency across all of your items.
- Refresh your listings regularly. Don’t let them go stale.
- Always use hashtags and keywords.
- Ask for Five Star Reviews. Seriously, those reviews are important and you’d be surprised how many people will leave you one if you just ask. On the same note, throw in a little something extra whenever you send out a purchase (even if it’s just a thank you note), this will improve your positive review chances. (Avoid sweets or other food items as they could damage items they are packed with, or also lead to liability issues).
- Share your shop on social media like Instagram, TikTok and Facebook. You are appealing to the young generation on Depop, use what they use.
What is the Best Site to Sell Clothes on?
Depop is a great site on which to sell clothes to Gen Z and millennials. eBay has a massive client base. Etsy is the place to sell home made creations. Poshmark, Mercari and Facebook are excellent sites for reaching a wider variety of potential customers.
In reality, every site has its own positives and negatives. But what if you didn’t have to choose just one? Cross-listing eliminates the need to choose a single platform to sell on, and is a way to sell on more than one platform simultaneously.
What is cross-listing? Cross-listing is the action of placing the same items for sale across multiple websites.
For example, say you have a list of 10 items that you are selling on Depop. If you wish to start cross-listing from Depop to eBay you would take the following steps:
- Go to the first item on Depop that you want to cross-list.
- Open eBay and Log In / Sign Up.
- Click on the Blue button, Start Listing.
- Add your title.
- Copy and paste your description, tailoring it to fit your target audience on eBay.
- Fill in the blanks.
- Find the photos section near the bottom, add photos. (eBay has the option for more photos if you wish to upload more than the four that Depop allows.)
- Set Price.
- Decide on Postage Terms. Weigh the item if necessary.
- Click on the Blue button at the bottom. List Item.
- Repeat for all items you want to cross-list on eBay.
The same would be true if you wish to cross-list to Poshmark or Mercari. You may need to make a few changes to the title size and the number of photographs. Ultimately you are placing the same items for sale on multiple sites to increase exposure and receive a higher chance of getting a sale.
This is manual cross-listing. Yes, it takes time… lots of time. Manual cross-listing means that you have to do each item individually. But, there is another way of cross-listing that saves hours of time and places the items on all the platforms for you – so you only have to create a listing once on one platform. Meet PrimeLister.
Cross-listing with PrimeLister
With a Cross-listing app you do not need to decide on the best platforms to cross-list to, or even the best platforms to sell on. PrimeLister makes it easy to cross-list to all platforms including Depop from a single dashboard.
Cross-listing to Depop or other platforms is made simple through PrimeLister cross-listing software.
- Install the PrimeLister extension. (TRY FOR FREE HERE)
- If you already have a listing on one platform, skip to step 3 – as you cannot begin cross-listing from scratch within PrimeLister. In order to start cross-listing you have to go to one of your platforms and make your listing. For example, to cross-list from Depop, head to Depop and create your listing.
- To get started you will need to import your product list to PrimeLister. First, select the listings you wish to import. Then, open the PrimeLister Drawer from the right-hand side and choose Import from the extension menu.
- Now you have the items you need to cross-list imported, navigate to your PrimeLister inventory page.
- Click on the item you wish to cross-list, click on the action’s dropdown, then click cross-list, choose the platforms you wish to cross-list to and confirm.
- This is the easiest way to cross-list to eBay, cross-list to Mercari, cross-list to Poshmark, cross-list to Etsy, cross-list to Facebook Marketplace, or even cross-list to Depop from the other platforms with little fuss.
- This will open new tabs as it works. DO NOT CLOSE THEM.
- Check each tab and its listing to see if any changes need to be made. All of your descriptions and titles will have been copied to each. No manual work needed!
- Confirm each post to list it.
Make listing your items across multiple platforms easy and fast. Get set up with PrimeLister in just half an hour. Click the link below to start your new trial on PrimeLister.
Contact us if you have any questions about the PrimeLister and if you would like to know more about how it could assist you.